John serves Valmont as our senior vice president and chief information officer (CIO). He manages the Information Technology Shared Service group responsible for aligning the strategy of information technology solutions across the company. Prior to joining Valmont, John served the previous ten years as a senior information technology executive at Rockwell Collins. In this role, he was responsible for the alignment of key programs, projects, integration and strategy. This included the facilitation of information technology joint venture partnerships around the world. Prior to that, John was an executive leader at Vertex Aerospace and Raytheon Corporation. While in these firms he held various management positions within the Information Management, Operations and Aviation groups. John was appointed to the Board of Directors and Administrative Committee Chairman for the Boy Scouts of America – Mid-America Council. He also serves on the University of Nebraska—Omaha Information Technology Advisory Board. John served in the U.S. Air Force and is a veteran of the first Gulf War conflict. John holds a M.B.A. degree from Belhaven University and a Bachelor of Information Management degree from Friends University.
Shared Services have accelerated new business opportunities through centralization and standardization, with the CIO being the crucial link in the governance chain. In organizations who have distributed IT in divisions or groups, the concept of how to approach, assemble and deliver a unified IT team in a Shared Services model is complex. Key session highlights include:
· Making sure that expected services, processes, and problems are well defined
· Discussing the level of service response time an organization wants or can afford
· Positioning IT as a strategic business colleague to enable collaboration with other business groups or shared services teams
· Moving from distributed needs to a centralized model of pooled IT resources and standardized systems
· Delivering value and raise external customer satisfaction in the products distributed by the firm